Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Home Stretch

So the infamous green sweater is almost done. It's actually together, and I'm just finishing the yoke. It just looks like a sweater for a man made out of spaghetti, but I swear that once I block it it will fit my patient husband. I am so excited that it's almost done, that I have actually started planning new projects. There are so many things that I want to make: curtains for my office, a drape/headboard for our bed, baby things (see post below), a nursing poncho, etc. I have a crazy elaborate plan the poncho, becuase I woke up one morning having dreamed about it, and now I must make it. I want to make it like a really big scarf, but with cool buttons to attatch on end to the side to convert it to a poncho when I want. I think that I want to do it in black, but do intarsia poppies along the end with the button holes, and maybe a graduated stripe along the bottom edge from a really dark burgundy to the bright red for the poppies. I'm still in a conundrum about the yarn though. What I really want is to find a lovely lace weight alpaca in the right colors and knit it with a double thread, so that I can have some fun with the graduated stripe and not make the whole poncho too heavy, but the sensible part of me says that I should make it out of something like the Red Heart Soft Yarn since that would be cheaper and washable. This is a little crazy since I only have 2 1/2 months left before my due date. I can only blame it on hormones, and start as many things as I can and hope that I finish some of them. :)

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Wow.

Poppies?!

That sounds amazing!

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Chauntel said...

I did like hearing your plan for the nursing poncho/baby blankie. I'll keep my eye out for a good black lightweight yarn. There is always the handspun alpaca from Village Spinning & Weaving. It's a good price for the yardage. If I remember correctly it's $18 for 1/2 pound. I could totally be off on the price per pound but I remember thinking it was a great deal.

Erin said...

Nice job! It's always nice when we knit for our men and they actually appreciate it.